Monday, February 20, 2012

The (social) pitfalls of running

Training is exhausting.  Whether it’s the early wake up call, fatigue from a hard workout, the post-long run sleepiness, or just the cumulative effect of week after week of miles, runners are a tired lot of people. For some of us more than others, staying up late seems downright impossible. 

I’m confessing today that serious training makes me a serious party pooper (those close to me already know this fact). I want to go to bed early. I don’t want to imbibe excessively. I don’t want to eat greasy, gut-bomb food at 2am (or ever).  Does that seem unreasonable? Can’t we all just hang out/party/do whatever a few hours earlier to allow a decent bedtime?

I know that some folks can squeak by on 6 or 7 hours a night and feel fine. I know that my own body moans and groans and feels like a pile of rubbish if I get less than 8. With all that said, maybe it’s just the fatigue of marathon training that is making me especially lame-feeling. I ran more miles this week than I EVER have before! To celebrate, I think I will go to bed early J

How do you balance the rigors of serious training with your social life?

1 comment:

  1. I'm a new runner so I don't have too much experience with this yet, but I think its about making training time MY time. Everybody has "their" time whether its reading, watching tv, etc. When my friends are sleeping, I try and get up and train. Again, I'm still quite new so maybe this doesn't work forever lol :)

    ReplyDelete